Saturday 30 November 2013

Chapters 6, 7 and 8 of Phantom of the Hastings Caves

Chapter 6   In the ambulance

Joy held her head in her hands as the ambulance went over one speed hump after another.
Then she took her hands away from her head and said, “Oh, Dave, what about the party? The sandwiches are still by the front door.”
“I’ll text Dad and the others. One of them can go and get them.”
“They won’t get a signal in the caves.”
“You’re right. OK, I’ll phone the caves landline.”
“Thanks, love.”
“It’s OK.”
Dave took out his mobile and dialled the number.
Emma was in the staffroom making a pot of tea. She picked up the caves landline phone when it rang.
“Smugglers  Adventure…” she said.
“Emma? It’s me, Dave. Can you ask Jack and Steve to go to Steve’s house and pick up the sandwiches? Joy left them by the front door ... No, it’s better if they both go. ... Joy’s house has been burgled ... yes ... yes, but Joy’s worried about messing up Madeleine’s party ... yes ... no, we can’t come to the caves ... Joy was pushed over. She hit her head. ... Yes, we’re in an ambulance. I’ll stay with her ... yes, see you.”
He put his mobile in his pocket.
“Thanks, Dave,” said Joy.
“Can you see any better now?” he asked.
“Yes, it was just the numbers on the phone. They’re so small.  I’m all right. Thanks for dialling for me.”
“It’s easy with the little bump on the five. Once you feel that, you know where all the numbers are.”
“Is there a bump on the five on my phone?”
“Yes. It’s on every phone apart from touchscreens.”
“Oh, right. ... Dave, why did you leave the party? Did you come to get the sandwiches?”
“No. I came to find you. And I was fed up. I didn’t want to stay in the caves. I hate the way people treat me sometimes.”
“But your friends don’t...”
“No, it was this weird girl I met today. One minute she grabbed me and wouldn’t let go, and then later she pretended she wasn’t there. But she was so near me that I could feel her breath. But later on she walked all the way along the Monks’ Walk with me.”
“Who was she?”
“I don’t know. All she said was ‘nook’.”
“Nook?”
“Yes. ... Oh, I think we’re at the hospital.”
The ambulance engine had been switched off. A paramedic came and opened the doors to let them out.
Joy covered her eyes as the paramedic helped her out into the sunshine.



Chapter 7   The West Hill Ghost

Joy and Dave had to wait a long time in the Accident and Emergency waiting room.
When a nurse led Joy to a cubicle to be checked, Dave stayed in the waiting room.
“Hi,” a man’s voice said. “Do you mind if I sit next to you?”
“No, that’s fine,” said Dave.
“You work at the Smugglers Adventure, don’t you?”
Dave nodded.
“They say it is haunted.”
“Yes, they do,” said Dave.
“Have you ever seen a ghost there?”
Dave held up his folded white stick in answer.
“Ah, yes, you are blind. But have you ever heard about the ghosts there?”
Dave didn’t answer.
“They say there is a girl who walks the West Hill. She walks there day and night,” the man went on. “Sometimes she wears an old blouse and trousers. Other times she wears a silky dress...”
“Listen,” Dave said, holding up his folded white stick again. “I haven’t seen anything or anyone for a very long time. And I don’t believe in ghosts.”
Joy came out of her cubicle and walked over to Dave.
“I’m all right, Dave,” she said. “I just have to make sure I don’t fall asleep for the next few hours. Oh. ...Who are you?”
She was looking at the man sitting on the plastic chair next to Dave. She frowned when she saw a tattoo on his arm. She felt as if she’d seen it before somewhere, only smaller and slightly different.
“My name is Enver,” the man said.
“I guessed that. Your name is tattooed on your arm.”
“Ah, you noticed. Anyway, Dave and I were just talking about the West Hill ghost.”
“What West Hill ghost?”
“The girl who walks day and night, night and day...”
“Come on, Joy. Let’s get a taxi,” said Dave.
“We will meet again,” said Enver. “And perhaps then you will tell me if you have seen … I mean if you have heard or smelt it.”
“Heard or smelt what?”
“It. The ghost.”


Chapter 8   We kill them

As the taxi drove into Collier Road, Joy saw a police car pull away from outside Jack’s house, which was next door to hers.
“We just missed the police, Dave,” Joy said.
“Do you want me to drive to them?” asked the taxi driver. “They have stopped at the end of the road.”
“No, don’t worry, love,” said Joy. “I’m too tired to talk to them.”
The taxi driver stopped outside Jack’s house.
“Oh,” he said. “It’s number 28. You said 27 when you called for a taxi.”
“Yes, 27. That’s right.”
“But the police came out of 28.”
“Oh, maybe they were asking Jack’s dad about the burglary...”
“Burglary?”
“Yes, my house was burgled.”
“Ah, in my country we do this if someone burgles our house.” The taxi driver drew his index finger across the base of his neck.
“What do you do?” asked Dave.
“Ah, sorry. You cannot see. We kill them if we catch them. Well, we don’t really. But we get very angry.”
“Which country are you from?”
“Albania. ... Oh, here are your neighbours.”
Jack and his dad came and helped Joy out of the taxi while Dave paid the driver.
“Are the sandwiches still by the door?” asked Joy. “I’m really hungry.”
“No, sorry, Joy. We took them to the caves and ate quite a lot of them. There were some left over, but we left them there. We decided to clear up tomorrow ... Joy, our house has been burgled.”
“What? Yours too? How did the burglar get in?”
“Well, there’s no sign of a break-in.”
“The woman who burgled my house used front door keys,” said Joy. “I just can’t work out how she got keys that fit my front door locks.”

Copyright text © 2013 Fiona Cullen
All rights reserved.

ISBN-13: 9781492309604

No comments:

Post a Comment