Friday 29 November 2013

Phantom of the Hastings Caves, Chapters 4 and 5.

Chapter 4   I haven’t seen a ghost
When Dave got back to the party, Emma, Trevor and Madeleine were dancing.
“I suppose this is what it was like when the caves were used for dances,” shouted Trevor. “Don’t you like dancing, Steve? How about you, Jack?”
“We’re hungry,” said Steve. “Hey, Trevor ... you nearly knocked Dave over.”
“Oh, you’re back, Dave. … No sign of Joy?” said Jack.
“No. I just came back to tell you I’m going to go to her house and see if she’s there,” said Dave.
“Shall I guide you?”
“No!”
“OK, sorry.”
Dave unfolded his white stick and started walking away, swinging the stick gently from side to side in front of him.
“What’s wrong with Dave?” Jack said to Steve.
“I don’t know. I’ve never seen him like that before.”
Dave stopped walking and turned round.
“Don’t talk about me as if I can’t hear you!” he said. “I’m blind, not deaf.”
“Sorry,” said Jack.
“Yes, sorry, Dave,” said Steve.
When the song came to an end, Madeleine came over.
 “Dave, are you OK?” she asked. “You look as if you’ve seen a …”
 “Seen? Did you say seen?”
“But, Dave, you always use that word. You say things like ‘I’ll see if I can find Joy’ or ‘See you later’...”
“Yes, well, I can’t see, can I? And you were going to say I look as if I’ve seen a ghost. Well, I haven’t seen a ghost.”


Chapter 5   The Burglary

Steve and Madeleine’s foster mother, Joy, put her hand up to her head. Her hair felt wet and sticky. When she looked at her hand, it was covered in blood. There was blood on the radiator and blood on the freezer bag full of sandwiches on the hall floor.
She sat up. Her head was throbbing.
She was next to the radiator on the floor in the hall of her house. There was a trail of blood from the top of the radiator down to the bottom. She must have cracked her head on the top corner of the radiator as she fell.
She had been looking for her earrings upstairs in her bedroom. She’d wanted to wear earrings and lipstick to Madeleine’s birthday party.
Joy had sung as she searched for the earrings. She was looking forward to the party in the caves.
But then she heard the sound of the front door being unlocked and opened downstairs. It was a stiff door and it made a loud creaking noise every time it was opened.
Joy stopped singing. She was confused. Her foster children had gone to Madeleine’s birthday party. And they usually used the hidden passageway from the cellar under Joy’s house to get to the caves. If they had come back, they would have come through the cellar. And then they would have gone to the back door, not the front door. And anyway, she just couldn’t imagine what might be so important that they would leave the party.
She shouted, “Hello! I’ll come down as soon as I’ve found my earrings.”
No-one shouted back. But she could hear someone walking around downstairs. She knew it couldn’t be burglars because she had heard the key in the lock.
“Did you forget something?” she shouted. “Hey, why don’t you answer me?”
Then she saw her earrings on her bedside table. She put them in her earlobes, put some lipstick on, picked up her shoulder bag and made her way downstairs.
The wind was blowing in through the open front door. Joy could hear the sound of a car engine outside.
A woman came out of the front room. She pushed Joy very hard and ran out of the house. Joy fell and hit her head on the radiator.
Her head was throbbing so much that it took her some time to stand up.
Once she was standing up, she went into the front room.
The TV had gone. So had the family laptop.
Even the phone had gone. The woman had unplugged it and taken the whole thing.
But Joy still had her shoulder bag. She reached into it and took out her mobile.
She tried to find the 9 on her phone so that she could dial 999. She couldn’t see the numbers clearly. Then she saw Dave. He was swinging his stick from side to side as he made his way down the path and into her house.
“Dave, come in. The front door is open. I’ve been burgled,” said Joy.
“Have you called the police?”
“I can’t see the numbers properly ... Dave, the burglar pushed me over. I don’t feel OK. Maybe we should call an ambulance.”
“Have you got a touchscreen phone?”
“No. It’s a Blackberry.”
“Good. Give me the phone.”
She handed it to him and he felt for the bump on the number 5. Then he moved his finger to the number 9.

Copyright text © 2013 Fiona Cullen
All rights reserved.

ISBN-13: 9781492309604

No comments:

Post a Comment