Monday 2 December 2013

Chapters 8 onwards of Phantom of the Hastings Caves

Chapter 9   The morning after

Early the next morning, Dave, Jack and Steve went to the cavern to clear up after the birthday party.
“Thanks for offering to help,” said Dave.
“No problem,” said Steve. “Where shall I shake the tablecloth?”
“Oh, put it in a rubbish sack. We’ll shake the crumbs out of it on the hill later,” said Dave. “And here’s a bag for the leftover sandwiches and cake.” He held out a black sack.
“There’s nothing left over.”
“But there must be. Dad said there were several sandwiches and a quarter of the birthday cake left.”
“No, there’s nothing left. There’s just the tablecloth. And there are the crumbs. And there are a few spiders. Are they the famous subterranean spiders?”
“Yes, be careful you don’t tread on them,” said Dave. “People travel miles to see them.”
He and Steve picked up the tablecloth and put it in the sack. The spiders crawled away across the sandstone floor.
“Joy was planning that we would have the leftover sandwiches for lunch with soup,” said Steve.
“They must be somewhere,” said Dave.
“The ghosts of the caves must have taken them,” said Steve.
“The ghosts are Dad, Emma and sometimes Mum dressed up,” said Dave. “And I can hear Dad swishing in now. ... When he’s wearing his smuggler’s ghost outfit, does he look like Batman?”
“No, I don’t,” said Trevor, coming into the dim light of the cavern. “My superhero days are over. Oh, where’s the food gone? I fancied a sandwich with my coffee...”
“The cave ghosts took the food,” said Dave.


Chapter 10   The ghost hunter

When Jack reached the caves exit, he saw a man talking to Emma at the entrance gate. The man was leaning on the ticket desk. The name ENVER was tattooed on his arm in black. A red and black flag was tattooed next to the name.
“Hi, Jack,” said Emma. “Have you got the leftovers in that bag? I’d love a sandwich...”
“No, I’ve only got the tablecloth. I’m going to shake it outside.”
“Ah, so you have tea parties in the caves,” said the man.
“Jack needs to get past you,” said Emma. “Thanks.”
As Jack squeezed past the man and out of the caves, Dave came up to Emma’s desk.
“Ah, it is my young friend who cannot see,” said the man.
“Do you know this man?” Emma asked Dave.
“I know the voice. It’s Enver. He was up at A and E when I was there with Joy.”
“A and E?” said the man.
“The Accident and Emergency Department at the hospital.”
“Ah, yes. I was not familiar with the abbreviation. Now, where were we? Ah, yes, we were talking about the ghost who walks the West Hill. Have you yourself seen the ghost?”
“Are you asking Dave or me?” asked Emma.
“You,” said Enver. “Dave does not like to talk about it.”
“Well, why don’t you come to our next torchlight tour? It’s in six weeks’ time,” said Emma. “You’ll see a few ghosts then.”
“Well, I will see,” said Enver. ‘
“There are so many ghosts in here. Oh, look, here comes one now. The spooky smuggler’s ghost.”
She pointed to Trevor, who was coming through the exit gate from the souvenir shop. He was wearing his smuggler’s clothes.
“You think I am joking,” said Enver.
“Are you saying I’m not a ghost?” said Trevor.
“No. I mean, yes. But I was talking about the girl ghost who walks the West Hill. I am a ghost hunter, you see. I would be most grateful for information about her. Have any of you seen her?”
“I told you before,” said Dave. “No.”

No comments:

Post a Comment